- Open: Winter(November to March): Daily 08.30-15.00 Closed on Mondays Summer (April to October): Monday 13.00-19.30 Tuesday-Sunday 08.00-19.30 Tickets: Full: € 2, Reduced: € 1 The exhibits give an enduring image of the cultural history of Chania since the Neolithic Age until the Roman period. The exhibition is divided widthwise into two major sections: the eastern part contains finds of Late Neolithic and Bronze Age (Minoan times). In the western part exposed antiquities of the Iron Age (historical times). The findings presented in excavation sets and modules. The collections include Minoan finds from the city of Chania, prehistoric finds from caves, Minoan finds from various areas of the county, finds from graves of the Geometric period, historical discoveries from the city of Chania and various other towns, coins, jewelry (prehistoric and historic times), sculptures, inscriptions, columns, mosaics.
Category: MUSEUMSImages Send e-mail28, Halidon Str. - Chanion2821090334
- Open: Winter: 8:00-15:00 except Monday Summer: 8:00-15:00 except Monday Tickets: Full: €2, Reduced: €1 Special ticket package: Full: €3, Reduced: €2 Valid for: Archaeological Museum of Chania, Byzantine and Postbyzantine Collection of Chania The aim behind the presentation of this material is to sketch the historical and artistic personality of the county of Chania during Byzantine and post-Byzantine times. The exhibits have been divided into groups based on the kind of object: mosaics, funerary inscriptions, wall-paintings, icons, architectural sculptures, ceramics and items of minor arts, and coins. The objects in each unit are presented in chronological order. Maps and explanatory panels inform visitors about the provenance of the items on display and the historical background of their period.
Category: MUSEUMS82, Theotokopoulou Str. - Chanion2821096046
- Open: Daily 08.00-12.00 & 15.30-18.00 The collections of the monastery include: - Picture Gallery - Manuscripts Collection The most important items of the monastery are: - Christ Life-Giver, early 15th century. Portable icon - Saint Nicholas. Project Emmanuel Skordilis. Portable icon - Christ enthroned, 17th century. Portable icon - Holy Triad. Project George, monk, 1853. Portable icon - Forty Martyrs of Sebaste, 186O. Portable icon - Virgin Hodegetria, 18O6. Nikephoros painter - King of kings and M. Priest, 1862. Portable icon - St John the Theologian, 1856. Portable icon - Mary Assumption. Portable icon - Images Dodekaorton iconostasis, 1871
Category: MUSEUMSImages Chania - Chanion2821091125
- Open: Winter: From the 1st of November until the 31 of March: 8:30-15:00 Tickets: Full: €2, Reduced: €1 The objects in it are displayed according to modern miseological concepts, with explanatory texts, photographs, drawings and models, and new exhibits are added each year. The Museum is divided into seven room, according to the following units: The Arched House, Silk, Pottery, Lace-making, Masonary and Stone carving, Church and Woodcarving. In the historical section of the Museum are exhibited guns and swords from the lengthy struggles of the Cretans for their freedom; also a small part of the collection of paintings and historical lithographs in which are depicted same of the most significant events of the history of Greece and Crete, coins (Roman, Byzantine, Venetian, Turkish, coins of the Cretan State and Syracusan coins from the period (405-345 BC). Also medals won on the fields of battle by the citizens of Gavalohori.
Category: MUSEUMSGavalochori Apokoronos Chania - Chanion2825023222,2825022625
- Open: Summer: From the 8th of June until the 31st of October 2012 : 9.00 - 16.00 Tickets: Full: €2, Reduced: €1 The Archaeological Museum of Kissamos belongs to the KE Prehistoric and Classical Antiquities and is located in the homonymous town coast of western Crete, below which lies the ancient Kissamos. Housed in the old Venetian-Turkish Government House, which was located within the perimeter of the Venetian castle, which was reinforced during the Turkish occupation. The exhibits provide an enduring image of the history of the region of Kissamos from prehistory to late antiquity, ie. The early Christian times. The report is divided into sections based on chronological and regional criteria and is distributed in ground floor and the floor. So the visitor knows the antiquities of the region in chronological order. Additional findings presented during excavation sets and modules. The total exposure of the museum contains enough information and visual material. In order to fully inform and attract the interest of visitors at its disposal an online presentation with research and documentation around the most devastating earthquake in antiquity, in 365 AD, which struck Crete and leveled Kissamos.
Category: MUSEUMSSend e-mailStratigou Tzanaki Sq., Kissamos - Chanion2822083308
- Open: Winter (01/11-31/04): Daily: 9.00-14.00 Summer (01/05-31/10): Daily: 9.00-17.00 and Sunday: 10.00-18.00 The museum is closed on Public Holidays. Tickets: Normal: 3,00 € Reduced: 2,00 € The Museum was inaugurated on the 27th May 1973, date of the 32nd anniversaryof the Battle of Crete. It includes models of ships, various nautical instruments and objects such as range finders, barometers, wind-gauges, course and speed abaci, torpedo firing computer, magnetic boat compasses, meteorogical instruments, sextants, a planisphere, torpedo-boat steering gear, etc. There are also paintings, portaits, authentic historic photographs, such as the raising of the flag of the Union of Crete with Greece in the Firka fortress at Chania, on the 1st December 1913, etc. Also exhibited are relics such as uniforms and other memorabilia which belonged to the heroic dead of the Greek Navy, guns which had been used in the war of 1912-13, etc. All the exhibits from the naval tradition of Greece are classified according to their historical periods, that is:Bronze age-Classical and Hellenistic (2800 BC-6th century AD). Venetian period (1200 AD to the 17th century), Byzantine and post-Byzantine period (650 AD to the 18th century), the period of the Ottoman rule-the struggles for Independence (1650-1909), the Balkan Wars (1912-1913), World War II (1940-1944), the post-War period (after 1944).
Category: MUSEUMSImages Kountourioti Coast - Chanion2821091875
- Open: 08:30-15:00 In the Ecclesiastical Museum of the Monastery of Gonia there among others portraits of the 14th century by the famous painter Andrea Rizzo era. There you can see works of Constantine Paliokapa, who lived in the 17th century, as well as codes and manuscripts that were able to rescue the monks over the centuries. Besides other relics in the Ecclesiastical Museum of the Monastery of Gonia exposed and collection of vestments priests. Near the monastery is the Orthodox Academy of Crete, a very important contemporary religious and spiritual foundation of the Archdiocese of Crete.
Category: MUSEUMSImages Kolympari - Chanion2810288484,2824022227
- Open: April to October Monday-Sunday: from sunrise to sunset sun Other Months upon request Tickets: Full: 2 €, Reduced: 1 € Monastery of the 17th century and one of the largest monasteries in Crete. In the museum's collection, visitors can see objects left over from the burning of the monastery in 1821, icons, ecclesiastical vessels, crosses, vestments, manuscripts, books (among them liturgical books of the period 1568-1758).
Category: MUSEUMSImages Send e-mailKydonia Province - Chanion2821063310,2821063571